Re: How to restore overwritten partion table?

On Thursday 03 March 2005 09.47, Alphonse Ogulla wrote:
> Hi good people,
> A friend inadvertently made changes to his windoze disk (partition)
> during initial install of woody but quit afterwards before permanently
> writing changes to the partition table. However, the original OS can
> now not boot at all. Error on start-up is "No operating system found".
>
> How can I restore the original partition table so as to boot windoze
> 2000 and salvage whatever data he had on it?
>
> There was only one partition on disk which had been taken entirely by
> windoze. The partition was _not_ formatted after creation.
>
> Shall appreciate whatever help you can provide,

Something like this in a monthly cron script or whatever may help in the
future if it would ever happen again.

fdisk -l /dev/hda > ~/partition-tables.list
fdisk -l /dev/hdb > ~/partition-tables.list
fdisk -l /dev/hdc > ~/partition-tables.list
etc for all your disks.

Olle