Re: Which is firewall generator suitable for new hand?

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Tony Godshall wrote:

> According to James Ng,
> > Hi All,
> >
> >     I am a new hand in linux system. I want to set up a firewall in my
> > debain in my home.  Which is the firewall generator suitable for a new
> > hand in firewall? Since the document about iptables is too complicated
> > for me, I could not use it.

> http://easyfwgen.morizot.net/gen/index.php

if you like fw gui ...  ( i say yuckeee )

	http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Firewall/Tools/

step 1
  see if you can get your local lan on 192.168.x.x to go out
  to the internet ( webpages, and read emails )
	- the should only have minimum linux and iptables
	( no email, no web, no user login, etc, etc )
	- i always put dns with the fw ( as a gw ) .. call me dumb :-)

	masquerading...
		- 3 line of iptables to get this done

		- allow everything out
		- allow everything in ...
		( sorta pointless fw, but at least the LAN works )

	next major fw rules
		- allow everything out
		- disallow everything in

		- allow incoming mail to the mail server
		- allow incoming web to the web server
		- allow incoming dns to the dns server
		- allow incoming xxx to the xxx server

	example iptable scripts

	http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Firewall/Scripts/
	http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Firewall/Examples/

step 2
  compile your kernel ... apply simple kernel protections
	openwall, lids, rbac, etc

  harden the rest of your systems against silly script kiddie attacks

step 3
  add more firewall rules like NAT, port forwarding, etc

	do more firewall cleanup and maintenance and monitoring

	http://linux-sec.net/FW/

c ya
alvin