Re: Sarge i386 with AMD64 3200+ and Gigabyte GA K8-NS Pro (nForce3) ?

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 13:33:49 +0000, Clive Menzies
<clive@clivemenzies.co.uk> wrote:
> On (03/03/05 07:09), Rodney Richison wrote:
> > Hannes Mayer wrote:
[...]
> > >As I understand the AMD64 port of Sarge is still under development,
> > >can I just install sarge i386 for the time being and it will run just
> > >in 32bit mode ?
> amd64 (sid) works great here ;) I installed a 32 bit system first just
> in case but I've never had to go back to it.
>
> https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html#id220463
[...]

Thanks for the link!
I want to run sarge 32bit for now, since I want to avoid the hassle
with 32/64bit compatibility for the time being. Furthermore almost
noone is compiling stuff for 64bit now and I don't want to wait if
i.e. a new version of FF or TB comes out. Maybe in a year, when there
is more stuff available for 64bit and the AMD64 port has matured even
more, I'll install the 64bit port.

> > I stuck with 32bit sid for now. Runs great.  Note: when I booted into
> > sarge, expecting to have to redo alot of hardware related stuff, I was a
> > bit dissapointed as there was nothing to do..   Everything just worked.  :(
Ahh...it's a pain if everything works! I know ;-)

So if 32bit sid works great, 32bit sarge will do too ?

So if I install 32bit sarge on AMD64, is it fully compatible to a
32bit system ? I mean, can I run all 32bit compiled stuff ?

Thanks Rodney! Thanks Clive!

Best regards,
Hannes.