Re: How to restore overwritten partion table?

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Frank Gevaerts wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 11:47:51AM +0300, Alphonse Ogulla wrote:
> > Hi good people,
> > A friend inadvertently made changes to his windoze disk (partition)
> > during initial install of woody but quit afterwards before permanently
> > writing changes to the partition table. However, the original OS can
> > now not boot at all. Error on start-up is "No operating system found".

use the windoze boot disk .. and tell it "repair"

> > How can I restore the original partition table so as to boot windoze
> > 2000 and salvage whatever data he had on it?

partition table problems is NOT the same as booting problems

you can "boot" from cdrom or floppy or network or usb or wireless
or ?? even tape if you wanna have the fun

> > There was only one partition on disk which had been taken entirely by
> > windoze. The partition was _not_ formatted after creation.

good  but if the new partition was written ... you will need to
recover the prevous cylinder boundries ..

if you cannot recover the previous cylinder boundries,
you may as well have formatted it

- you can take the disk down tot he local disk/data recover folks
  and tell them to find out where the windoze partitions used to be

- sounds like you only hd windoze before occupying the whole disks
  and the new install was to install de into unused parts of windoze
  in which case, you can simply fdisk and use the whole disk as it
  was and let windoze do its diskscan to clean itself up again

- if you formatted the disks after partitioning it, the data may
  or may not be there ...
	- some data will be lost where the new cylinder boundry is
	for the new partitions

=== make backups before playing with disks and new distros

c ya
alvin