Re: Kernel Panic after reboot of 2.4.18-686

Ben Pont wrote:
I have a multi-boot desktop system with Windows
98, Mandrake 10.0 and Debian Woody (2.2.20)
installed.  Windows 98 is on the first hard
drive, Mandrake and Woody on two separate
partitions on the second drive as is swap (hdc5).
 All OSes are managed by Grub (installed by
Mandrake).  I installed Woody after Mandrake and
hand edited the menu.1st file to boot Woody
instead of allowing LILO to overwrite MBR. Everything worked pretty well except for the fact
that 2.2.20 didn't support my hardware very well.
 So, I went to packages.debian and downloaded the
2.4.18-686 .deb and dpkg -i it onto the system,
still keeping my old kernel for backup.  During
dpkg routine it warned about letting LILO
overwrite MBR, which I declined

With the scheme that you used, this is where the problem lies...

to allow and
rebooted into Mandrake to edit menu.1st, then
attempted to reboot into Woody with the
2.4.18-686 kernel and got this message just prior
to kernel panic:

"request_module[block-major-22]: root fs not
mounted
VFS: Cannot open root device "hdc3" or 16:03
kernel panic: VFS; Unable to mount root fs on
16:03"

Keep in mind that I had copied the stanzas in
menu.1st that allowed (and still allow) grub to
boot into woody 2.2.20, so it's not an issue of
hdc3 being the wrong / partition.  The new kernel
is booting into RAM, but apparently can't find or
mount /

Any explanations, suggestions, solutions would be
greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Ben

__________________________________ Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday! Yahoo! Netrospective: 100 Moments of the Web http://birthday.yahoo.com/netrospective/