Re: Selecting things under 'X' using ENV variables

 --- "David A. Cobb" <superbiskit@cox.net> wrote:

> Actually, I tried something like that once.  In the process I horked
> some permissions and was sent back to console-mode for nearly a week.

The other option, is that for whatever terminal emulator you use (xterm,
rxvt, aterm), you get that to spawn a login shell when it loads.  For
xterm, that's invoked thus:

xterm -ls

So that, then, your ~/.bash_profile file is read -- of course, this
presupposes that in that file, you have told it to source ~/.bashrc -- if
not, that file will not get read, especially if it contains any shell
aliases you  might then want to use, etc.  If you look in ~/.bash_profile,
you'll see there's an if..fi block that is usually commented out, which if
you uncomment it will define this behaviour.

> Do I dare say, "but I'm using GDM" ?  I get the idea.  I'll google about
> in the archive as well.

Last I checked, GDM honours the use of ~/.xsession -- but you will have to
check.  XDM and StartX certainly do, so...

-- Thomas Adam