Re: why should packages migrate to testing automatically

Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
This might be nitpicking (sorry if it is), but I could not find the
answer in google.

I think it is a bad idea to allow packages to migrate to testing
automatically. Sometimes a maintainer might want the packages to stay
in unstable than in testing. A particular package might call for more
attention from Sid users to expose its bugs...

My personal opinion is that a package should migrate only upon the
consent of the maintainer.

This is why experimental exists.  If the maintainer has serious doubts
about a package's stability, it first goes into experimental.  A
package does not leave experimental without active intervention from
the maintainer.
Adv:-
1) Testing will probably have less RC bugs than there are currently
have -> improved stability in testing -> less work for the bug
squashing party -> less release cycle.
2) Maintainers make better choices and they know when the package is
ready for "testing".
3) Gives the users of sid sufficient time to find a bug and report it.

Dis adv:-
1) Updates to testing might be slower.

As it currently stands, there is a 10 day "cooling off" period.  If a
package is in Sid for 10 days without serious or grave bugs, it will
propogate.  I don't think that lengthening this will improve much of
anything as the larger number of people using Sarge means that some
bugs that slip though the cooling off period will be discovered later.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr