Re: OT Open source Windows terminal server?

This is getting way off topic, but...

On 28-02-2005 14:29, Douglas Phillips wrote:
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:17:52 -0600, Dave Sherohman <esper@sherohman.org> wrote:

I'm no Windows guru (I've gotten pretty good at not doing Windows),
but I thought the Win2003 Server version already had Terminal
Services built in.  Have you tried hooking up to the 2003 server with
rdesktop as-is?  Might work...

Terminal Services for non-admin stuff requires Terminal Services
Licenses.  It won't work the way you are suggesting.  The
administrative side of TS only allows 3 connections total (IIRC), so
that won't do what you want.

Check out <http://licensecode.one.microsoft.com/transition/> -- basically, for certain old WindowsXP licenses you can get free Terminal Services client licenses. If the XP licenses they're currently using qualify, you can use their Windows 2003 server and then free the desktops as you planned.

Randy