Re: install entire system with lvm.

Raquel Rice wrote:
On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 18:23:31 +0100
Mauro Sanna <mauro.sanna@comune.cagliari.it> wrote:

Hello.
Is there anyone that has installed an entire debian system using
lvm or evms? I want to install it assigning the entire disk to evms. Is there anyone that has tried it?

I just installed a "new" system using LVM.  I didn't instlall LVM on
the entire disk though, leaving /boot and / outside.

I think that is the saner approach anyway :-)

Most LiveCD distros (at least thos of which I am aware, like Knoppix) have no support for LVM. Additionally, I know that other tools like Tom's RootBoot certainly don't have the room. Thus, if you go all the way as far as having your / and /boot on LVM, then you are likely to not be able to get to them with a commonly used rescue tool.

Now, if it comes to recovering something like an entire filesystem on a LV, or something like that, then you may be out of luck. But at least you will be able to access the basic parts of your system in the case of a problem.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto