Re: 3d acceleartion (Mach 64 ATI rage pro)

On Wednesday 28 December 2005 00:24,

> Mark Grieveson wrote:

> > Hello. Is it possible for me to enable 3d acceleration with the hardware
> > I have? Right now, there is absolutely no 3d acceleration. I feel that
> > if it was present, even though my hardware is old, I at least would be
> > able to play PlanetPenguin-Racer (aka TuxRacer).
> >
> > I have a Pentium III, 450 MHz system, running Debian Sarge with a
> > 2.6.8-2-386 kernel image, 384 MB ram. My VGA compatible controller is
> > ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X (rev 5c), which I believe is
> > also known as Mach64, with 8 MB. So, is the name "3D Rage Pro" just a
> > lie, to en*rage* me?

> You're not going to find what you're looking for by default.  Check out
> the following page on the status of Mach64 support.
>
> http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIMach64?action="">
>rdware
>
> If you're savvy enough, you could build it and get 3d support.
> Otherwise, you should pick up a newer video card that is already
> supported.  Finding a supported 3d card shouldn't be very expensive.
> There's plenty of older HW that will work out of the box such as older
> radeons.

There are debian packages which are more up-to-date than those sited above.
Add to your sources.list:
#new DRI locations?
deb http://www.nixnuts.net/files/ ./
deb-src http://www.nixnuts.net/files/ ./

There are three packages: One is has the dri drivers similar to those cited
above. There is a script to build them over Debian kernel-headers or follow
the instructions cited in the article. The second has the mesa dri-trunk
libraries to connect this stuff and the third has an Xorg. This Xorg is
compiled to enable mach64--stock Xorg does not work. This Xorg will install
over existing Xfree installations and (follow the instructions) will work no
sweat.

These packages were supposed superceded by newer Xorg and mesa packages. The
more recent Xorg will NOT work.

Again, thanks for all the responses on this.  One additional note:  when I tried to install the package drm-trunk-module-src, I received some errors.  Here is what was said:

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-386'
/usr/src/drm-modules/linux-core/Makefile:279: *** CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG needs to be enabled in the kernel.  Stop.
make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/drm-modules/linux-core] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-386'
make: *** [modules] Error 2

Then, it stated that it was cleaning up a bunch of files, before it proclaimed that it was:

***All done with 2.6.8-2-386***

***drm-build complete***

How do I enable CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG?