Re: ntpdate -> configuration

On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 22:55 +0100, Michael Przysucha wrote:

> I have a very unstable hw-clock and need to synchronize it every apx. 60 minutes to avoid differences of more than 20
> sec. The given server (192.53.103.103) is up and running a ntp-service, operated by the German PTB (compareable to
> "time.gov") and offering a very accurate time (atomic-clock).

According to man ntpdate, all you need to do is specify the server as
the last argument to ntpdate on the command line.

Man goes on to say that you could get cron to run ntpdate every so
often, but what you really need to do is run the ntp daemon (ntp-simple
debian package).

There's a lot more to setting your clock accurately than the accuracy of
the server: Internet travel time, repeatability of the travel time, etc.

see http://www.pool.ntp.org/use.html

If you run ntpdate at boot to get in the ballpark, then run the ntp
daemon to zoom in on the correct time, your clock will be correct within
a few ms.

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com