How to set optical device path for Totem in Debian Sarge

I have been trying to get totem to work on my Acer laptop, and it has worked
previously, before the kernel had hdc=ide-scsi added, but not now.

There is no entry for the Optical Device Path? I don't know why?

Error message:-
Totem could not play 'file:///cdrom/cdrom0/hdc'.
There is no plugin to handle this movie.

Or:-

Totem could not play 'file:///cdrom/cdrom0/sr0'.
There is no plugin to handle this movie.

Can I set this manually?

I need totem because it brings the sound through the system without a wire
required for the speaker. KSCD will play it, but has no wire lead to bring it
to the speaker. Apparently this is the case with many laptops? So I have been
informed.

Have googled and can find nothing of benefit, maybe just not using the right
keywords. and would appreciate any suggestions.

TIA for any help,
Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524