Re: Simple question

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 05:08:33PM -0500, David R. Litwin wrote:
What's the command to stop a service like gdm?
Killall.

Seems like a bad idea, unless the service is hung. Using the proper init
script would make more sense. To simply stop the service, /etc/init.d/gdm
stop
as root would do the trick. To change things so that it does not start on
the next boot, removing the symlink in the appropriate runlevel (the
default is 2, I believe) would do the trick.

If you're concerned with managing services on boot in general then I
highly recommend a program such as sysv-rc-conf or rcconf to manage the
symbolic links for you.

Actually, I needed to stop gdm only for installing a package. But you have
given me very valuable information. I appreciate your feedback.

Teilhard.