Re: Question on backups using rsync

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 02:16:29AM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:

One nit to pick here:

> - find | tar | gpg  meeets all of my requirements for most all possible
>   potential disasters and recovery

As I describe on my backup page, that's a terrible idea.  One corrupt bit and
you lose *huge* amounts of data.  Use afio or some other archiver that does
gpg or zip or bzip2 or whatever *before* putting the file into the archive.
In the case of gpg, you have to use gpg-agent, but that works fine once you
get it set up.

I'm open to hearing any advantages of tar over afio for backups, because I
don't know of even one.