udev and usb

This is driving me potty.  I have two sid installs with udev.  One has
carried on as before (before udev, that is).  WHen I unplud the usb
mouse and plug it back in, I get

Dec 20 19:33:41 localhost kernel: usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 2
Dec 20 19:33:55 localhost kernel: usb 2-1: new low speed USB device
using uhci_hcd and address 3
Dec 20 19:33:55 localhost kernel: input: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [1241:1111]
on usb-0000:00:1d.2-1

as you'd expect.  On the other I get nothing. And of course the mouse
doesn't light up.  A reboot solves this, but I didn't leave the dark
side all those years ago to start rebooting my computer every half hour.

I am so thrown by the complexities of udev (which I assume is the
culprit) that I don't know where to begin.

TIA

--
richard