Re: Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server

Nikhil Prabhakar wrote:

>Hi all,
>When opening emacs from terminal as "su" I'm getting this error:
>
>debian:/home/nipra# emacs
>Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>Xlib: No protocol specified
>
>emacs: Cannot connect to X server :0.0.
>Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use `-d'.
>Also use the `xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
>connections from your machine.

The problem is that X is "owned" by your normal user, and when you "su",
you no longer have "ownership" of X.

Several ways around the problem. My personal fave is to use "sudo".
Another popular recommendation is to use "sux", both of which handle the
underlying issues of transferring host authentication.

--
Kent