Using Linux on old Dell Latitude XPi CD

I have an old laptop I wanted to try to get to work.
It came with Win 98, which I removed and replaced with
XP. However, the machine has these specs:

PMMX 166 MHz, 64 MB RAM, 2 gig HDD

and the HDD was too small to install SP2 onto the
machine. As a result, I am convinced that Linux is the
way to go. Don't know if Debian is the right package
or not. Sarge might be too robust for this machine
particularly w/ HDD size limitations.

The other problem I have is that the CD drive is not
bootable. Apparently the BIOS doesn't support it. I
tried to do a flash upgrade and it said "Battery must
be installed." So I gave up on that and am wondering
if I can create a bootable floppy with some
super-small distro of Linux and somehow get around
this that way.

Does anyone have any suggestions? How can I get an old
notebook that can only boot from floppy or HDD to
successfully install Linux, and work within the limits
of the 2.0 gig hard drive size? I would need a
breakdown of the process, from creating the floppy to
installing the package onto the hard drive, preferably
from a CD. I hope I'm not reaching too far here.

TX

JM