Re: NTFS write status (was: Re: What would I do without partimage?)

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> Is NTFS support safe to use for writing?

It depends on what NTFS implementation you use. There are almost a dozen
different one which people greatly confuse and they often credit one's
faults to an unrelated one.

If you use the one from the open source Linux NTFS project (but not the
original NT4 NTFS driver which were experimental, developed by others and
kept trashing NTFS) then yes it was always safer than ext3, xfs or
reiserfs, mainly because until very recently it implemented only file
overwrite without change to the file size and volume resizing so basically
nobody would have much chance to corrupt anything even if they had tried
very hard.

> Are all functions implemented?

Only read, not all writer. And probably some bugs will appear too as more
write related features will be implemented. Just like in case of any other
filesystems or softwares.

> If no time to answer could you just please direct me where to look for
> this information. I know this is constant development, but i would be
> very interested in trying it out.

http://www.linux-ntfs.org/

	Szaka