Re: Install kernel-source-2.6.8 update

Roberto Sanchez wrote:
Marty wrote:
New kernel in 5 easy steps!

1) untar /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8.tar.bz2
Check.
2) Add your .config (e.g. from /proc/config.gz)
Check.
3) make oldconfig;make bzImage
Why not use make-kpkg from kernel-package?

If you have just one kernel, or don't use modules, I don't
see much advantage, and I tend to err on the side of simplicity.

4) replace old bzImage in /boot
See last.

"cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot"

Yep, it's a lot of typing.  I see what you mean.

5) run lilo
Switch to grub :-)

You mean the bootloader that doubles as backup kernel?  That seems
like a cool idea, if I can just figure out what it's good for.  :-)

-Roberto