Re: Cannot start CUPS

Hi Gabriel,

Gabriel wrote:
I made an apt-get upgrade today, and now I cannot run the cups daemon.
This is the output when I try to start it:

localhost:~# /etc/init.d/cupsys start
Starting Common Unix Printing System: cupsdcupsd: Child exited with status 98!
localhost:~#

Or executing the daemon directly:

localhost:~#cupsd
cupsd: Child exited with status 98!
localhost:~#

The problem is caused by a redundancy in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf. The
daemon tries to bind to port 631 twice, finds it already "occupied" the
second time and exits with an error.

You can fix the problem by downgrading the package cupsys to version
1.1.23-12 (the rest of the system can be left as is) or by manually
editing /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to comment out one line, i.e.

Include /etc/cups/cups.d/ports.conf

has to be changed to

#Include /etc/cups/cups.d/ports.conf

More details can be found here:
(It seems to have been fixed already anyway in version 1.1.23-14, so you
could also simply wait a bit and upgrade again.)

Regards,
            Florian