LVM on loopback FS, mounting, access

I'm playing with partitioned filesystem image files (result of, say,
doing a fresh OS install using qemu), and need to be able to mount and
access such images which contain LVM groups and volumes.

How would one do this?

I've found one related posting to a Red Hat mailing list ~2003, from a
Kendal Montgomery:

    https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-lvm/2003-September/msg00148.html

... but he reports limited success.

Image file is partitioned as follows (yes, it's FC4, I'm accessing from
Debian):

    $ /sbin/fdisk -lu fc4.img
    You must set cylinders.
    You can do this from the extra functions menu.

    Disk fc4.img: 0 MB, 0 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 0 cylinders, total 0 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

    fc4.img1   *          63      208844      104391   83  Linux
    fc4.img2          208845    12273659     6032407+  8e  Linux LVM

I *can* mount ordinary filesystem partition (using mount's 'offset'
argument).  LVM's a bit of a stumper.

Any hints greatly appreciated.

Peace.

    I've been waiting for the right woman to get confused.
    - On not being married.