Re: Old version of Midnight Commander

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
Jim Holland wrote:

Hi all

One of the reasons that I have switched over to using Debian is that its
display of console utilities such as Midnight Commander works much better
than Red Hat and derivatives from version 8 on.  However I have still
found a display problem (a screen refresh failure) with the stable version
of mc that is being currently distributed: 4.6.1-pre3-3.  I wrote to the
MC mailing list and was told:

<snip>

This is because once Debian makes a stable release, the only bugs that
are fixed are security-related and something so grievous as to make
something unusable for many people.  For example, if a package won't
install anymore, or something like that.  My advice to you is to get the
source package from unstable [0] and then read my package customization
HOWTO [1] and backport the package to Sarge yourself.  Let me know if
you find any of this confusing or you need any more help.

-Roberto

I use Sarge. But the 4.6.1 release from source and compile my own to get undelete with it.