Re: RAR under linux: any alternative?

On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 23:35 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Wesley J. Landaker wrote:
> > Well, just use md5sum, sha1sum, etc.
>
>     Against what, exactly?  How do these verify the contents within that
> discrete piece of the archive?

The same way that RAR does. They tell you whether that discreet part of
the archive is corrupted or not. If it is corrupted it's just as useless
whether it's a RAR archive or any other type of archive.

> > Or use .zip with zipsplit -n . . . I
> > don't see that rar has any particular advantage there.
>
>     Point being was that split is a very clunky way to do things.  Rar's
> splitting is far superior to both the above mentioned hacks.

Sorry, but I'm just not seeing it. If RAR had some recovery features
along the lines of PAR, I might be more impressed. But seeing as how PAR
works with any type of a multi-part archive I'm just not seeing any
particular strength to using RAR.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837