Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
Hal Vaughan wrote:

[root@threshnet:root$ grep HIGHMEM /boot/config-2.6.8-2-386
CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM=y

  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

# CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G is not set
# CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set'

[root@threshnet:thresh]$ uname -a
Linux threshnet 2.6.8-2-386 #1 Thu May 19 17:40:50 JST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux

Hal

You can't get more than about 900 MB of accessible RAM with that kernel.
 I'm sorry for not being clear, but I think that the stock Debian
kernels were 4 GB enabled starting with 2.6.11.  So, you would need to
be using a kernel from Etch or Sid.  Alternatively, you can roll your own.

-Roberto

My stock Debian 2.6.7 kernel IS set for HIGHMEM4G:

mns@xander:~/meadery/gallery$ grep HIGHMEM /boot/config-2.6.7-1-k7
# CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM is not set
CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
# CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set
CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y

So I guess that I am OK if I buy the extra memory that I was thinking of. I find it curious that some are set one way and some the other. Could it be because I am using a k7 kernel?

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com