umsdos under 2.6

Hi all,

I have a USB pendrive formatted as umsdos (I think), and I just can't mount
it with my Debian Etch 2.6 kernel machine.

The pendrive mounts flawlessly under a Slakware 2.4 kernel machine, with a
fstab entry of:

/dev/sda1       /mnt/flash      auto    noauto,user 0 0

So, "auto" for fs.

Im the Slackware machine the dmesg entry reads:

WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 9
sda: Write Protect is off
 sda: sda1
UMSDOS 0.86k (compatibility level 0.4, fast msdos)
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:1d.7-7 address 9

So, it says something about UMSDOS fs, right?

But in my machine I get the following (I have an udev rule that creates the
"autousb" dev for this pendrive):

Bart:~# mount /dev/autousb /mnt/usb/ -t umsdos
mount: unknown filesystem type 'umsdos'

and:

Bart:~# mount /dev/autousb /mnt/usb/ -t msdos
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/autousb,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

which gives:

Bart:~# dmesg | tail -2
FAT: invalid media value (0xb9)
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sdf1.

(sdf is synonym for autousb in this case). Also fdisk says the following:

Bart:/boot# fdisk /dev/autousb

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 7943412.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/autousb: 2082.3 GB, 2082317979648 bytes
16 heads, 32 sectors/track, 7943412 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 512 * 512 = 262144 bytes

/dev/autousb1   *           1         980      250864    e  W95 FAT16 (LBA)

Aside from the "2082.3 GB" thing (cfdisk says it's free space, which it
isn't, because there isn't such space, of course), it means that "-t vfat"
or "-t msdos" should work... right?

Is there any issue with umsdos and the 2.6 kernel (it's deprecated or
something)? Because searching for umsdos in the packages gives the
following:

Bart:/boot# wajig whichpkg umsdos
File Path                                                   Package
===========================================================-=================
/lib/modules/2.4.27-2-686-smp/kernel/fs/umsdos/umsdos.o
kernel-image-2.4.27-2-686-smp
/lib/modules/2.4.27-2-686-smp/kernel/fs/umsdos
kernel-image-2.4.27-2-686-smp
[...]

Some more lines with 2.4 stuff have been omitted, but no line with 2.6 stuff
appeared.

I have also found that there is an "umsdos" package for stable and
oldstable, but not for Etch... has it been deprecated/superseded? If so, by
what?

I have also tried to find the kernel .config settings for umsdos, an got the
following:

Bart:~# grep -i umsdos /boot/*
/boot/config-2.4.27-2-686-smp:CONFIG_UMSDOS_FS=m

So there's some umsdos module (configured as manually loadable in this case)
for my 2.4.27-2-686-smp kernel, but not for my 2.6 kernel. I also found out
about it by:

Bart:~# modprobe umsdos
FATAL: Module umsdos not found.

So, please, anyone knows how to mount the damned thing in my computer?

--
Iñaki Silanes / Chemistry Faculty UPV-EHU Donostia
http://www.sc.ehu.es/powgep99/dcytp/teoricos/staff/inaki/inaki.htm