Re: Move software raid to new machine

On 12/9/05, Johannes Wiedersich <johannes@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to move our software raid array (mdadm) to a new hardware.
> Currently, I have one disk for the system etc. and two 'identical disks'
> that serve as software raid 1.
>
> Can I just move the two discs to the new machine? Do I have to take care
> that they retain their names as /dev/hdb and /dev/hdd? Is there a way to
> rename them to say /dev/hda and /dev/hdb?
>
> Note: the new machine has one sata disk, so /dev/hda will become known
> as /dev/sda.

Yup.  Best practice is to try and get your two drives to be the same
as what they are (hdb, hdd) and it should be ok.  Although, if they
are not the same dev names, mdadm and the raid drivers _should_ be
able to figure out they belong together based on the UUID of the raid.

I just recently moved a 2 disk mirror from my old box and it worked
without me touching a thing.

--
~ Darryl  ~ smartssa@gmail.com
http://smartssa.com / http://darrylclarke.com