jerks

I'm trying to make a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) out of a SUN W2100z
(dual AMD64).

Every few seconds, at seemingly random times, everything freezes for
~50ms. Even the mouse. Sometimes. Reliable at the first card moved in
Aisle Riot Solitaire and when Jack is running. Often when I'm typing
email (chars don't get from the keyboard to the screen).

I know that's not much of a description, but I don't know where to start
looking for this. I'm assuming interrupts are being disabled entirely
momentarily. My background says it's time for a bus monitor, but I don't
have one handy.

This happens with a 2.6 kernel from the current updated Sarge or a 2.4
from DeMuDi 1.2.1 distro.

Anybody have any idea how to begin tracing this down? Or maybe a better
explanation of what's going on?

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com