New messages in thunderbird

I have decided (for a number of reasons) to switch back to thunderbird
as my primary e-mail client.  However, I no longer see new messages
unless I explicitly travel to the folder containing the new messages.
In the past, I had used thunderbird's filters.  When I switched to mutt
I started using maildrop to filer my email on the server.  This was much
easier than keeping client-side filters synchronized in webmail and on
two computers.  Now that I have switched back to thunderbird, however, I
don't see the emails that have been delivered to the various folders.
Is there a way around this?

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez