Re: Delay in receiving emails

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 05:51:13PM -0500, axolx@speakeasy.net wrote:
> Fellow debian users--
>
> I recently setup a box to act as a mail (qmail) and DNS (bind9) server.
> Because I only have one external IP address, this machine is accesible
> through a main server by means of forwarded ports using iptables. For
> example, if you telnet into port 25 of my main server, you are actually
> opening a connection on the mail and dns server.

It's one way of doing it..

> My question is that I notice that it often takes long (15min +) to
> receive certain emails, and I cannot figure out why. If I send myself an
> email (from an external network) by a telnet SMTP session on my main
> server, the email appears right away. However, if I send an email to the
> same address using Gmail (I replicated the problem in other
> clients, but it happen more often with emails sent from Gmail), then it
> takes a while to show up. This leads me to think that it may be a
> DNS rather than mail problem, but I am not sure.

Well, this is rather foggy. All of this can be checked. If you don't see
any action beforehand from any mailserver you send a mail from (gmail in
this example), you know the setup you chose isn't the issue.

Now, dns is a bit more tricky. There are multiple sites that can preform
a check if you have setup your mailserver the "right" way, and if it
respons is sane.

http://www.dnsreport.com/

--
TC,