Re: [Cygwin <-> Debian]: rysnc hangs when backing up multiple /cygdrive/* dirs

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 02:09:06PM -0500, H.S. wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am not able to see what could be going wrong with my rsync method. I
> > am trying to back up a Windows XP box (running Cygwin and sshd and
> > rsyncd)  from my Debian Testing box. The following command hangs before
> > really transfering any files:
> >
> > rsync -R --delete --delete-excluded --modify-window=1 --ignore-errors
> > -zauve ssh --exclude-from=rsync-excludes.txt
> > 'ice:/cygdrive/c/Documents?and?Settings  /cygdrive/d/user1 /home   /etc'
> > /mnt/snapshot/ice/windows/daily.0
> >

> > but the following command works:
> >
> > rsync -R --delete --delete-excluded --modify-window=1 --ignore-errors
> > -zauve ssh --exclude-from=rsync-excludes.txt
> > 'ice:/cygdrive/c/Documents?and?Settings /home   /etc'
> > /mnt/snapshot/ice/windows/daily.0
> >

> > I notice that if I specify multiple source /cygdrive/* dirs to be backed
> > up, rsync hangs (first case above), otherwise it is happy (second case
> > above).
> >
> > Can anybody see what could be the problem? Or, how do you backup
> > multiple dirs from a cygwin box, if you this kind of thing at all? I
> > just hope I have specified the source directories correctly in the
> > commands above.
> >
> > ->HS
> >

> Well, it appears something is wrong with my rsync'ing /cygdrive/d. I am
> not able to rsync and backup /cygdrive/d/user1 directory at all! The
> rsync process just hangs. Rsync works on other directories in
> /cygdrive/c and / but not on /cygdrive/d/<dirs>.
>
> Here is what I have on the Windows XP box running Cygwin:
> $ mount
> C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
> C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
> C:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
> c: on /cygdrive/c type system (binmode,noumount)
> d: on /cygdrive/d type system (binmode,noumount)
> e: on /cygdrive/e type system (binmode,noumount)

Perhaps you could eliminate variables from the equation to see if this is
a cygwin problem or a debian problem.  Some suggestions:

1. What if you initiate rsync from the cygwin host?  Does it still hang?
2. What if you rsync from the cygwin host to itself? (This would
remove debian from the picture)

- Ryan