Re: Deleted auth.log OT? question

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 06:34:04PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 06:30:46PM -0500, Amish Rughoonundon wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I delete auth.log file by mistake and although I created it again,programs
> > don't write anything to it anymore. Any suggestions. Thanks a bunch
> > Amish
> >

> That is because, although auth.log is gone, any file descriptors that
> were open to it are still available.  Thus, until all the file
> descriptors have also been released, the file still "exists."  If you
> are not certain of which applications on your system normally write to
> auth.log, your best option may be a reboot.

If the file still "exists", there might to be a way to "retrieve"
it. What is missing is not the file itself, but the pointers to
it. Could one reconstruct those pointers from info in /proc ?

Is is a general interest question. OP has truly deleted the original
file by rebooting so the answer is unimportant in his case, but
perhaps sometime in the future such knowledge might be useful.

Answers?
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net