Re: Machines and people

On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 01:32:28PM +0000, Paddy Hackett wrote:

> In view of this could anybody tell me how we get from the stage of bits
> to the letters of say the English language. In short how do bits,
> Boolean Algebra lead to letters such as a,b,c,..etc.
> I have studied the Turing machine. However I am still not clear
> regarding this question. It appears that many learn higher level
> computer languages such as Java yet cannot answer the more fundamental
> cquestions.

That's not a Debian question, if I understand it right.  You're asking how
we go from transistors on a microchip to the display of characters on a
screen?  That's a much more general computing question.  This mailing list
is at least in principle specifically about Debian GNU/Linux.
--
Carl Fink                                         carl@fink.to
If you attempt to fix something that isn't broken, it will be.