Re: PC Slowdowns and Lock-ups

James Caldow wrote:
Hi,

I have attached the output from top in case it is useful. I don't know how
useful this will be though as it is from a time when the PC is almost behaving.
When it stops behaving I don't have enough control over it to be able to run top!

[snip]

Yes, it was not useful. Too bad. It just shows a pretty much idle
system.

I suggest you start top running and just leave it so. It consumes very
little resources. You could put the window in all workspaces. I would
not think that memory failures would lead to slowdown, but rather a
crash. One possibility is some device generating numerous interrupts.
For example, you may have some device on your LAN which is chattering,
and sending numerous invalid packets, causing your NIC to interrupt
your CPU extrememly frequently. This particular error might leave
something in /var/log. A quick test would be to disconnect all
external devices which might cause something like this. Pull your
LAN connection or DSL or whatever.

Also, use all your senses. LISTEN to your machine. Is the disc busy?
Perhaps you already thought of this. But I'd try to get all my
senses involved, smell, tactile, etc. (Maybe not *taste*!).

Another thought: are you sure the machine is not crashed but just
extremely slow? It might be difficult to discern the difference.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.