Re: Problems installing mplayer

> I have some problems trying to install mplayer from Marillat's
> repository. I am running Etch. (I have previously made apt-get
> update).

Same thing here: It was all working fine... until my last system crash (newbie
lesson #2356: avoid shutting down a maching during unpacking/installing of new
KDE version with "aptitude upgrade"). After installing the system a new, I have
been unable to reinstall mplayer as well.

>From my understanding of other posts, it has to do with the move of Debian's
etch from gcc3 to gcc4. And those two libraries that apt cannot install
(libjack0.80.0-0 and libdirectfb-0.9-20) seem not to be offered with gcc4 so
far. (correct?)

Well that's the understanding of a newbie, not so new, but still mesmerized by
such issues... Please anyone correct if this is wrong. Is there any idea of
when mplayer will be installable on new etch systems again?

This is another question related to this issue. A while ago I moved from stable
(then woody) to testing (then sarge) such that I could have more access to the
cool stuff (e.g. skype and newer versions of everything). Now I installed my
new system, and I have lost access to mplayer, while amarok and baghira are now
only installable from stable (now sarge) and unstable (still sid) but not
testing (now etch)... Pretty frustrating!!

Philippe

## ORIGINAL EMAIL BELOW ##

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs