Re: impossible to connect to DNS

The slowness in DNS resolution is typically caused by failure to connect to the first name server in your /etc/resolv.conf. Followed by a successful query of the second name server.

You may want to check you firewall iptables setup.

Steve

Cabuz Alexandru wrote:

Are you using static ip addresses, or dynamic?

In either case, what is in your /etc/resolv.conf file?

I am using a static address.
Until yesterday I had something like this in /etc/resolv.conf

search [name]
nameserver [IP of server]

But while trying to figure this problem out I installed the resolvconf package, and then my /etc/resolv.conf contained this

# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN

I therefore added these lines to the interface definition in /etc/network/interfaces

dns-nameservers [IPs of the servers]
dns-search ges.univ-montp2.fr

I also did
apt-get install --reinstall dnsutils

Now it seems to be able to connect to the DNS server although much slower than it used to.

I have changed all the system passwords but I still think I might have gotten rootkited. rkhunter and chkrootkit give nothing though.

It would be great if I could go back to configuring the /etc/resolv.conf by hand (rather than automatically by resolvconf). Things used to work much faster back then.

I would also like to do a debsums on my system, but I need to refresh the sums because they might have gotten hacked, assuming the worst case scenario.

Is there a way to download the correct md5sums for all packages from somewhere so as to be able to really see if anything was tampered with? The sums on my hard drive are not reliable anymore, I think.

Thank you for your help.