Re: Power button not shuting down debian

According to Alex Malinovich,
> On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 16:35 +1100, Neil Dugan wrote:
> > Hi I have an old compaq computer, when it had Fedora on it I could do a
> > short press of the power button, and the computer would shut-down nicely.
> >
> > I have since upgraded to Debian, the problem is that pressing the power
> > button no longer shuts the computer down.
> >
> > Any help in this would be appreciated.
>
> The PC is probably using a "modern" (ATX) architecture (modern is a
> relative term here... :) ), meaning that the power button just sends a
> signal to the motherboard. How the motherboard interprets this signal is
> dependent on what you've told it. By default, the signal tells the
> motherboard to shut down the power supply, thereby shutting the computer
> off.
>
> But if you load APM or ACPI modules, the motherboard is told to ignore
> the power button signal and just pass it on to the OS. The OS then
> chooses what to do with the signal. (Usually put the computer i...

Are you running apmd or acpid (whichever is appropriate for
your machine)?  They can be set to do the equivalent of
'shutdown -r now' when you hit power- which is better than
direct power off, of course, since it unmounts first.  It
might even work automagically (acpid came configured to do
power button when I installed it on my laptop).