Understanding "Depends: Package <= Version"

I don't know whether this is the right place to ask this.  Someone, perhaps, will "straighten me out."

It is not usually a problem to have both Python-2.3 and Python-2.4 on the same machine.  In fact, when Python gets pulled down as a dependency, it's pretty likely to happen.

However, a number of Debian packages, notably OpenOffice.org Python-Uno, have a dependency "Depends: Python <= 2.4".  Now, if I parse that according to the usual human language rules, it says I must have an earlier Python; and it would be satisfied because I have both 2.3 and 2.4.

But 'apt' evidently interprets this as though it said: "Conflicts: Python >= 2.4" and is UNSATISFIED because of the presence of my 2.4.  Along with my "English language" interpretation, it would seem strange that the presence of a  newer package which does not directly conflict with the older is not likely to break an application.

Is this a bug in apt?  If so, is it a known bug?
--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.