Re: very weird firefox behaviour

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 02:45:13PM -0800, Rodney D. Myers wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 22:27:36 +0100
> Renee Klawitter <klawitter@email.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> > I recently installed the firefox 1.5, (1.4.99+1.5  to be perfectly
> > accurate).
> > Now, when I try to start firefox via the applications menu or via
> > console, logged in as a normal user, it won't start and gives me this
> > nice little message instead:
> >
> > Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new
> > window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart
> > your system.
> >
> > But there is no other firefox process. And the curious thing is,
> > logged in as root I can start firefox, and as long as the root
> > firefox process is running, I am able to start a new window as a
> > normal user!!

Perhaps you have somehow started firefox in a user directory as root,
causing the lock file to have the wrong permissions.  Or perhaps the
lock is just there; firefox as root will presumably use /root's .mozilla
directory, and thus root's lock file, unless you've preserved your HOME
variable.  See if
'ls -l .mozilla/firefox/*/lock' shows a lock file when no firefox-bin is
running, and if so remove it.