Re: [root user] How to disable root account?

El mié, 30-11-2005 a las 16:53 +0100, Krizsán László escribió:
> Hi!
>
> I think you must be root to do this, but how you can to restore it without
> root account?

Ubuntu uses sudo. I also use it in my Debian box. Basically most
unices have a "wheel" group. You can add your account to that group
and then run the "visudo" to leave /etc/sudoers with a line like
this one:

%wheel  ALL=(ALL)       NOPASSWD: ALL

Or this (if you want your account's (not root) password to be asked
for every time you want to run commands like root:

%wheel        ALL=(ALL)       ALL

Tipically you'll just have tu remove the # to uncomment the proper
line and you'll be done.

I used the "passwd -l" trick a few moments ago and efectively disabled
my root account. Then I did this:

$ sudo su -
# passwd -u root
Pssword changed.
# passwd root
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully

Now my root account is restored. It's kind of easy, really.

Regards,

Antonio Ognio
Lima-Peru.