SSH is disconnecting at random

Hi,
I have recently installed Debian sarge on an old machine and usually log on using ssh since I don't have a monitor hooked up to the machine. It has been working fine for some time but recently, the computer has been disconnecting me at random and closing the connection. I initially thought putty was faulty but even though I removed the re-keying of certificate and added keepalive every 60 seconds, the debian system still cuts me off. I tried to ping the machine and the response was fine and ftp works okay but I cannot log in using ssh for some time after the disconnection. I would really appreciate if anybody could help me since I depend on the linux system for my project. Thanks a lot for any information. Amish