Re: Strange locale behavior

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 07:06:47PM +0200, David Baron wrote:
> Perl keeps giving locale errors so here is this:
> $ locale
> locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
> LANG=en_ENus
> LC_CTYPE="en_ENus"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_ENus"
> LC_TIME="en_ENus"
> LC_COLLATE="en_ENus"
> LC_MONETARY="en_ENus"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_ENus"
> LC_PAPER="en_ENus"
> LC_NAME="en_ENus"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_ENus"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_ENus"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_ENus"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_ENus"
> LC_ALL=
>
> So what is it looking for?

I think it should be en_US, but don't take my word for it.

'locale -a' prints the names of the locales that are installed on your
system.  What does that say at your computer?

You can reconfigure what locales you want by executing:

dpkg-reconfigure locales

See /etc/locale.gen

Public GnuPG key:  http://maurits.vanrees.org/var/gpgkey.asc
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and
probably in themselves will not be realized. Make big plans."
---Daniel Hudson Burnham.