module-init-tools not being executed?

hello,

running unstable, after my latest dist-upgrade xorg (as replacement for xfree) would't start because the mouse wasn't found. i found out that this was because of the psmouse and mousedev modules not being loaded on bootup. so i added them to /etc/modules, but it didn't help, module-init-tools does not seem to get executed on bootup or there is some other error affecting it. i created an initscript that calls module-init-tools and starts kdm. this way it works, the modules from /etc/modules get loaded. besides lots of other packages the upgrade updated udev and i purged hotplug like it told me. i don't know if this is part of the problem, maybe you can tell me. but is this a known bug that is supposed to be fixed soon or is the cause of this problem somewhere else and you can help?

greets,
oliver