Re: xorg + nvidia not working

Wulfy wrote:
Jonathan Pearce wrote:

I am running etch. A while ago, I dist-upgraded from xserver-xfree86 to
xserver-xorg, and from a customized kernel 2.6.8 to the stock etch
kernel 2.6.12. I had compiled the Nvidia drivers 7664 for my 2.6.8 and
it worked fine.

After my dist-upgrade, I have xserver-xorg working with the free nv
driver. When I try to use the non-free etch nvidia driver for 3D, I get
the following message:
Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

There aren't any error messages (EE) in my Xorg.0.log. I've attached it
for completeness.

The nvidia driver is loaded.
jdpearce@pughbert:~$ lsmod | egrep nvidia
nvidia               3922076  0
agpgart                35560  2 nvidia,intel_agp

I see the NVidia splash screen before the X server crashes. I don't have
all the nvidia devices that this HOWTO suggests I should have:

http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/troubleshooting.html

Could this be some kind of udev problem? I didn't have udev before. I
also haven't been able to bring up my 865's builtin sound, though I
haven't tried very hard yet.

If anybody has any ideas about how I could fix this or how I could find
out what is wrong, I'd be glad for the help.

Sincerely,
Jonathan Pearce

Is the nVidia driver compiled for the 2.6.8 or the 2.6.12 kernel? I hear that makes a difference...

each time you use a new kernel you have to recompile the module: you can use the -K option, which recompiles only the module and not the X driver (which does not need recompilation)

hope this helps
	Lore

|  Lorenzo Bettini          ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     |
|  PhD in Computer Science                            |
|  Dip. Sistemi e Informatica, Univ. di Firenze       |
|  Florence - Italy        (GNU/Linux User # 158233)  |
|  Home Page        : http://www.lorenzobettini.it    |
|  http://music.dsi.unifi.it         XKlaim language  |
|  http://www.purplesucker.com Deep Purple Cover Band |
|  http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite           |