modules.conf

Can someone please explain the correct usage of /etc/modules.conf (in
sarge)?  In my modules.conf file it says:

 # Please do not edit this file directly. If you want to change or add
 # anything please take a look at the files in /etc/modutils and read
 # the manpage for update-modules.

The contents of modules.conf does seem to be the concatentation of the
files in /etc/modutils, with indications that it has been processed by
update-modules.

However, the man page for update-modules says it's obsolete.  So
what's the deal?

I'm trying to get the new madwifi driver set up with the 2.6 kernel I
just built, and I need to run a command to configure it whenever the
module is started.  I think such things are supposed to go in
/etc/modules.conf, but I'm confused as to how I'm supposed to get it
in there.

-David