Re: dvd authoring question

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Eduardo Gargiulo wrote:

Hi all,

I'm running debian testing, and trying to make a dvd-video image to burn.
I have the .VOB files and I have made a dvd structure using vobcopy. I'm looking
for a debian tool that makes the .IFO files from those .VOBs. I'd tried with
dvdauthor without success. Is there such a tool?

I don't use dvdbackup because I want to edit the original dvd and make a new one
with only a few .VOBs.

hi there,

you're not gonna like this answer but... dvdauthor is the tool for the job. i have been using dvdauthor to create my dvd structure and it does create the needed .IFO (and .BUP) files.

have you read through the dvdauthor man page?
there are two ways of passing commands to dvdauthor, via the command line or through an xml config file.

maybe you should forgo the vobcopy and just stick with dvdauthor.

also keep in mind that the VOBs passed to dvdauthor must have DVD NAV (VOBU) packets multiplexed in at the correct locations. there are many tools that can do this, including mplex from mjpegtools (1.6.0 or later).

here's a little snippet from my latest dvdauthor project; perhaps this will shed some light:

DVDAuthor::dvdauthor, version 0.6.11.
Build options: gnugetopt magick iconv freetype
Send bugs to <dvdauthor-users@lists.sourceforge.net>

INFO: dvdauthor creating VTS
STAT: Picking VTS 01

STAT: Processing final.mpg...
STAT: VOBU 16 at 3MB, 1 PGCS
STAT: VOBU 32 at 8MB, 1 PGCS........

INFO: Video pts = 0.178 .. 6326.297
INFO: Audio[0] pts = 0.178 .. 6326.290
STAT: VOBU 13273 at 3358MB, 1 PGCS
INFO: Generating VTS with the following video attributes:
INFO: MPEG version: mpeg2
INFO: TV standard: ntsc
INFO: Aspect ratio: 16:9
INFO: Resolution: 720x480
INFO: Audio ch 0 format: ac3/2ch, 48khz drc, surround

STAT: fixing VOBU at 3MB (17/13273, 0%)
STAT: fixing VOBU at 8MB (33/13273, 0%).......

DVDAuthor::dvdauthor, version 0.6.11.
Build options: gnugetopt magick iconv freetype
Send bugs to <dvdauthor-users@lists.sourceforge.net>

INFO: dvdauthor creating table of contents
INFO: Scanning dv_dvd/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.IFO
INFO:	ISO-8859-1 character encoding detected by locale settings.
	Assuming ISO-8859-1 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
	use -input-charset to override.
  0.29% done, estimate finish Wed Nov 23 21:39:37 2005
  0.58% done, estimate finish Wed Nov 23 21:36:46 2005
  0.87% done, estimate finish Wed Nov 23 21:37:43 2005.........

if you're looking to just make a copy of a dvd, try using DVrequant which can be found at https://sourceforge.net/projects/dvrequant/

i hope this is helpful for you.
best of luck

k l u r t