Re: mplayer and mp3s

On Nov 23 2005, Oliver Lupton wrote:
> Just `mplayer mymusic.mp3` works for me, make sure your mplayer was
> compiled with MP3 support (uses lame iirc).

Yes, mplayer may use liblame0 (I am the upstream packager of lame).

But I would like to give you all a recommendation: try to use a music
player called moc (which stands for Music on Console).

It plays a large variety of sound files, lets you navigate with a very
intuitive curses interface and it was made in such a way that you can
quit the curses interface and leave it playing in the background.

Later, you can connect again to the daemon playing your music, if you
change your mind. It is highly recommended, if only by the very, very
broad range of music file formats supported out-of-the-box (without you
having to go hunting for plugins and such).

Really recommended.

Hope this helps, Rogério Brito.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/