RE: APT(ITUDE) problems (aka cat herding)

----Original Message-----
From: C. Chad Wallace [mailto:cwallace@thelodgingco.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 4:55 PM
To: deblist
Subject: Re: APT(ITUDE) problems (aka cat herding)

Scott Muir wrote:
> this is one example of the problem:
>

>>	Reading task descriptions... Done
>>	The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
>>	  debconf-utils
>>	The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
>>	  centericq-common libcurl3 libgpgme11
>

> Installing various packages kicks out OTHER various packages. in this
case,
> the debconf-utils pkg
>
> its like there is a battle royale going on with dependencies, and i've
been
> bitten once bad in the past when i tried installing samba on an ubuntu
> machine which it did but not before uninstalling postfix (the MTA) (BAAAD)

Try:

aptitude unmarkauto debconf-utils

I'm guessing you initially installed debconf-utils with apt-get, which
doesn't set aptitude's special auto/manual flag.  Aptitude then thinks that
debconf-utils was automatically installed (as a dependency of another
package), and since no packages currently depend on it, it removes it.  It's
a handy feature... but somewhat misguided in this case.

> this is what j2sdk does sometime after installing nagios:
>

>>	The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
>>	  libdbd-pg-perl libdbi-perl libnet-daemon-perl libplrpc-perl
>>	The following NEW packages will be installed:
>>	  sun-j2sdk1.5
>>	The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:
>>	  libasound2 libgtk1.2 libx11-6 xlibs
>>	0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 4 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
>

> which breaks nagios.

Is nagios installed from a .deb?  If so, it should contain dependencies on
all the packages it needs...  If it did that, aptitude wouldn't decide that
they "are unused" and would leave them there.

If nagios isn't from a .deb, you'll have to 'unmarkauto' all the packages
that it depends on...  or make a .deb for it.

-----------------------------------

debconf-utils is one of the things which postgres installs (i used aptitude)

should i be using apt-get instead and somehow disable aptitude from being
used to install anything?

the nagios package i installed is 'nagios-pgsql'..  its a .deb.

i'm guessing that autodependency is somewhat like when the windows
uninstaller encounters a dll that isn't being used anymore, it offers you
the chance to keep it or delete it.

the thing is though, i *HAVE* packages installed which depend on these
things...

and again as i mentioned where samba demanded to have nullmailer in place
and it happily uninstalled postfix (this was on ubuntu warty) to put
nullmailer in place...  try to put postfix back and aptitude wanted samba
gone again.

I'm guessing this is more about, poorly parameterized packages rather than
issues between aptitude and the dpkg, but i just can't make sense of this,
and it takes a lot to derive behaviour out of the man pages of this stuff.

it needs an oreilly or sams book.

Scott.