APT(ITUDE) problems (aka cat herding)

Hi all,

I'm still struggling with some behaviors of the package system,
specifically, APTITUDE i think.

I'm using command lines that look like this:

	debconf-set-selections postgres.seed
	aptitude --assume-yes postgresql
	aptitude --without-recommends centericq

this is to load up a machine with apache2, postgres, nagios-pgsql to name a
few.

this is one example of the problem:

>	Reading task descriptions... Done
>	The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
>	  debconf-utils
>	The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
>	  centericq-common libcurl3 libgpgme11

Installing various packages kicks out OTHER various packages. in this case,
the debconf-utils pkg

its like there is a battle royale going on with dependencies, and i've been
bitten once bad in the past when i tried installing samba on an ubuntu
machine which it did but not before uninstalling postfix (the MTA) (BAAAD)

I'm also ordering off the menu a little bit which i thought was contributing
to my issues but I've narrowed it down to this...

I'm building straight from the stable dist.  I have a dvd of Sarge #1 386
burned and left stock.
I am using the 2.6 kernel and installing a very basic system and then in
goes postgres (7.4.7 i think) and then centericq right after it.

it removes 'debconf-utils' if i proceed.

Debconf utils isn't a big deal, i can reinstall them, but... other things
happen later.

this is what j2sdk does sometime after installing nagios:

>	The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
>	  libdbd-pg-perl libdbi-perl libnet-daemon-perl libplrpc-perl
>	The following NEW packages will be installed:
>	  sun-j2sdk1.5
>	The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:
>	  libasound2 libgtk1.2 libx11-6 xlibs
>	0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 4 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

which breaks nagios.

Basically, i'm prototyping a production application server which someone is
going to install using scripts i give them, and an abbreviated.

Here are a few other detail, if anyone is interested/if it matters.

I have been collecting the security updates and have them stored on a CD
with a Packages.gz in there with them to function like another distribution
cd.  It seems to work fine and apart from the downloading of the security
"lists", it doesn't need to pick-up any other packages at this point.

Included on this aux disc are sun jre and jsdk 1.5, and tomcat5 and zope2.7.
the first two have to be debs built using the javaconf package or whatever
its called, tomcat5 is stolen from the unstable dist as is zope2.7.

none of these elements were installed yet in the example above, but it was
worth mentioning because I don't know what effect the 'override.sarge.main'
file has on this whole process.  Zope2.7 is apparently listed in the
override file, but both of the java envirs aren't as well as miscellaneous
.debs required to get tomcat going.

Anecdotally, I think i've had stuff clobber java when i was originally using
dpkg -i to install the java package.

So,  I still don't have a good feeling how all this stuff works, but i have
seen some stuff break other stuff and I can't have that happening.  Am I
doing something wrong?  All of the stuff in the current incarnation is
installed using aptitude, not apt-get, dselect or dpkg...  I'm
using --without-recommends in some spots because i don't want any of the X86
libraries and similar in place.

Again, am i doing something wrong?  This experience is seeming more like
herding cats.

Any insight is appreciated..thanks
Scott.