Gdesklets Doesn't Connect to Daemon

I was looking at the gdesklets package, and it looked interesting enough for me to apt-get it to try it and see how it was. Problem is when I do a "gdesklets start", it times out while trying to connect to the daemon.

I found an old FAQ page on it (page didn't even exist anymore, only the google cache), which said that the gdesklets-daemon file probably didn't have execute permissions. I looked for this file in /usr/bin/, the same place as 'gdesklets', but it wasn't there. I noticed that gdesklets itself was a softlink to /usr/lib/gdesklets/gdesklets so I looked there and indeed found the gdesklets-daemon file. Just to see if it'd help, I created a similar link (gdesklets-daemon in /usr/bin, linking to /usr/lib/gdesklets/gdesklets/gdesklets-daemon). It doesn't seem to make a difference.

I checked the log file in ~/.gdesklets/logs, but it's essentially empty, containing only the following line:
Log messages of /home/mike/.gdesklets/logs/gdesklets%3A0.0.log

Has anyone else, by chance, had this problem? I've never used the program before so I'm a little unsure of where to work, since I didn't get a change to break it myself yet :)

Thanks in advance!
-Mike