USB broken

Hi,

I am running Debian Sarge, kernel 2.4.25-1-386.  USB had been working fine and
then one day it broke.  I do not think I had made any changes to the system
between the day it was working and the next day when it was not.

dmesg indicated that hubs were found and drivers loaded, but if I connected my
palm pilot and pushed the hot sync button, nothing appeared in syslog and no
connection was made.  Also xsane could no longer find the scanner and my usb
printer also did not work.  I also could no longer mount my camera.

I tried /etc/init.d/hotplug restart and there was a message, "can't synthesize
root hub events".  I also got "input failed". Googling "can't synthesize root
hub events" located a post that suggested either /proc/bus/usb/devices was
missing or usbutils was not installed.  The proc file system was present, so
I tried installing usbutils.  It installed fine.

Again I tried /etc/init.d/hotplug restart.  "can't synthesize root hub events"
was gone, but "input failed" was still present.  Here are the messages
from /etc/inti.d/hotplug restart:

Stopping hotplug subsystem:
   pci
   pci      [success]
   usb
   usb      [success]
   isapnp
   isapnp   [success]
   ide
   ide      [success]
   input
   input    [success]
   scsi
   scsi     [success]
done.
Starting hotplug subsystem:
   pci
   pci      [success]
   usb
   usb      [success]
   isapnp
   isapnp   [success]
   ide
   ide      [success]
   input
   input    [failed]
   scsi
   scsi     [success]
   ide
   ide      [success]
   input
   input    [failed]
   scsi
   scsi     [success]
done.

dmesg | grep usb shows me this:

usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
ehci_hcd 00:10.3: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
ehci_hcd 00:10.3: USB 2.0 enabled, EHCI 1.00, driver 2003-Dec-29/2.4
hub.c: USB hub found
uhci.c: USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v1.1
uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xdc00, IRQ 11
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
uhci: USBCMD_HCRESET timed out!
hub.c: USB hub found
uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xe000, IRQ 5
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3
uhci: USBCMD_HCRESET timed out!
hub.c: USB hub found
uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xe400, IRQ 11
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 4
uhci: USBCMD_HCRESET timed out!
hub.c: USB hub found
usb.c: registered new driver usblp
printer.c: v0.13: USB Printer Device Class driver
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:10.3-0 address 1
usb.c: USB bus 1 deregistered
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:10.0-0 address 1
usb.c: USB bus 2 deregistered
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:10.1-0 address 1
usb.c: USB bus 3 deregistered
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:10.2-0 address 1
usb.c: USB bus 4 deregistered
usb.c: deregistering driver usblp
usb.c: deregistering driver usbdevfs
usb.c: deregistering driver hub
[...]

Can anyone suggest a diagnosis?  Thanks.

John Marks